Azerbaijan is a country located at the borders of Eastern Europe and Western Asia, borders Russia to the north, Georgia to the northwest, Armenia and Turkey to the west, and Iran to the south. Azerbaijan population in 2023 is estimated to be 10.3 million, covers country area of 86,600 sq km (33,400 sq mi), ranks ninetieth most populous country in the world. Baku is the capital and largest city and popular cities are Sumgait, Ganja, Mingachevir, Xırdalan, Nakhchivan, Shirvan, Lankaran, Shaki and Yevlakh. Country code is AZE, Population of Azerbaijan in 2021 is estimated as 10.1 million. Azerbaijan has long been known for its rich oil resources, exploration dates back to seventh century B.C., As fuel was used to fill the lamps of clay and metal. Oil played an important role in the development of Azerbaijan economy, impact on lives of the Medians, Caspians and other ancient tribes of Azerbaijan.Below table is the population of Azerbaijan from 1960 to 2020:
Azerbaijan population in 1960 is 3,895,398, by 1970 the population is increased by 1,284,634 totaling to 5,180,032, by 1980 the population is increased to 6,150,735, and by 1990 the total increase of 7,175,200 in 30 years from 1960 to 1990 resulting to 7,175,200. From 1990 to 2000, population increased to 8,048,600, and from 2000 to 2010 the population of Azerbaijan increase by 1,005,732 with a change of 12.50 percent and increase of population from 2010 to 2020 by 1,038,789 with a change of 11.47 percent and make up to 10,093,121. Azerbaijan population in 2022 is estimated to be 10.2 million.
Prior to 2021, Azerbaijan is divided into economic regions, The regions are Absheron, Ganja-Qazakh, Shaki-Zaqatala, Lankaran, Guba-Khachmaz, Aran Upper Karabakh, Kalbajar-Lachin, Mountainous Shirvan and Nakhchivan.
According to report, The new economic regions are as on Jun2021:
1. Baku economic region around the Baku city,
2. Nakhchivan economic region (Nakhchivan city, Babek, Julfa, Kangarli, Ordubad, Sadarak, Shahbuz və Sharur districts)
3. Absheron - Khizi economic region (Sumgayit city, Absheron and Khizi districts)
4. Mountainous Shirvan economic region (Aghsu, Ismayilli, Gobustan, and Shamakhi districts)
5. Ganja - Dashkasan economic region (Ganja and Naftalan cities, Dashkasan, Goranboy, Goygol, and Samukh districts)
6. Karabakh economic region (Khankendi city, Aghjabadi, Aghdam, Barda, Fuzuli, Khojali, Khojavend, Shusha and Tartar districts)
7. Gazakh - Tovuz economic region (Aghstafa, Gadabay, Gazakh, Shamkir and Tovuz districts)
8. Guba - Khachmaz economic region (Khachmaz, Guba, Gusar, Siyazan, and Shabran districts)
9. Lankaran - Astara economic region (Astara, Jalilabad, Lerik, Lankaran, Masalli, and Yardimli districts)
10. Central Aran economic region (Mingechevir city, Aghdash, Goychay, Kurdemir, Ujar, Yevlakh and Zardab districts)
11. Mil - Mughan economic region (Beylagan, Imishli, Saatli, and Sabirabad districts)
12. Shaki - Zagatala economic region (Balaken, Gakh, Gabala, Oghuz, Shaki and Zagatala districts)
13. Eastern Zangazur economic region (Jabrayil, Kalbajar, Gubadli, Lachin and Zangilan districts)
14. Shirvan - Salyan economic region (Shirvan city, Bilesuvar, Hajigabul, Neftchala, and Salyan).
The most populated region of Azerbaijan is the Absheron economic zone, while the least populated region is Kalbajar-Lachin region.
|Economic Region||Area (sq km)||Population(2011)|
© 2019-2022 populationU, Research papers on Population dynamics and Social affairs