World Population > India > Karnataka

Bangalore Population

12,326,532

Bangalore also called Bengaluru, is the capital of Indian state of Karnataka, located in southern India on the deccan plateau, lies at an elevation of 900 meters above sea level. As per the estimates of UN World Population Prospects, the Bangalore Population in 2020 is 12 Million (1.2 Crore). Bangalore is popular for its Silicon valley of India, which is a IT hub, some of the worlds major IT corporations operate from this city, also known as startup capital of India. Bangalore was founded in the 16th century by Kempe Gowda after clearing a jungle to build his dream town there with a strong fortress, a chieftain who worked with the Sri Krishna devaraya, emperor of Vijayanagara Empire. Bangalore was initially the capital of Mysore State until Karnataka was formed in 1956. The population of local Kannadigas in Bangalore is less than 41%. Bangalore is a cosmopolitan city with around 25% Tamilians, 14% Telugites, 10% Keralites, 8% Europeans, and 6% a mixture of all races.

YearBangalore Population
1950745,999
1955939,396
19601,165,978
19651,377,314
19701,614,756
19752,110,599
19802,812,428
19853,397,214
19904,042,598
19954,754,228
20005,581,263
20056,785,901
20108,295,564
20118,635,621
201510,141,080
2020*12,326,532
2025*14,395,443
2035*18,065,541
Source: population.un.org/wpp/, 1950 to 1935 Bangalore city Population(UA)


Bangalore Size and Population

Bangalore City(2011)Bangalore UA(2020)
Population 8.4 million12.3 million
Area709 sq km8,005 sq km
Rank4 (India)27 (World)
According to 2011 census, the population of Bangalore is 8.4 million and the city area is 709 sq km. Bangalore urban agglomeration includes Bruhat Bangalore (Municipal Corporation), Suggatta, Vaderapura, Ramasandra, Doddathoguru, Kannur, Chikkagubbi, Doddagubbi, Guddahalli, Totadaguddadahalli, Srikantapura Anchepalya, Kodigehalli (Part), Hunasamaranahalli, Chikkabidarakallu.

As per the 2001 census, Bangalore UA, which received 0.3 million in-migrants from other states is due to growing opportunity in IT Sector. 401,932 from within state, 353,156 from other states of India and 6,397 from other countries.


Religion wise Bangalore Population

According to 2011 census, Hindu population is 78.8%, Muslim population is 13.9% in Bangalore, followed by 5.6% Christianity, 1% of Jainism.
Source: 2011 Census: Language and Mother Tongue


Languages spoken in Bangalore

English is widely spoken in Bangalore by all sects of people, Kannada is official language in Bangalore and spoken by 46% of the population, but due to cosmopolitican Tamil, Telugu, Hindi, Malayalam, Marathi, Konkani is spoken by the migrants from the other states of India. The major communities who share a long history in the Bangalore city other than the local Kannadigas are the Telugus and Tamilians, who have migrated to Bangalore in search of a better livelihood.


Bangalore Population age wise

Bangalore population pyramid shows the gender difference between female and male as per the age wise. According to 2011 census, the population of 0-4 years, 340,232 are male and 321,653 are female, stable upto 15-19 years. From 60 to above 80 years, the population is declining more rapidly due to the less life expectancy.

Source: 2011 Census: Population In Five Year Age-Group


Bangalore History

According to Urbanization of Bangalore, Bangalore was laid out in 1537 by Kempe Gowda-I whose ancestors were the Yelahanka Nadu Prabhus, with permission from the emperor of Vijayanagar. He constructed a mud fort which had four entry points/gates signifying the cardinal directions of north, east, west and south, namely Yelahanka gate, Halsoor gate, Kengeri gate and Anekal gate respectively. The layout inside the fort was mainly meant for commerce, divided into various 'Petes' (markets), namely Nagarth Pete, Ballapurada Pete, Taragu Pete, Bale Pete, Chikka Pete and each specialized in different commodities.

Within this township, the built space consisted of a stock of temples, tanks and agraharams. Dharmambudhi Tank, Kempambudhi Tank, Halsoor Tank, Karanjee Tank, Sampangi Tank, Kempapura agrahara Tank etc., and some of the tanks built by the later rulers. Bangalore was then surrounded by forests, agricultural fields, tanks and was dotted with temples. The town saw a second expansion in the year 1690 when it was bought from the Mughals by Chikka Devarajor Wodeya who after its acquisition the region fortified Bangalore with yet another fort, he built oval in shape fort to the south of the old Kempe Gowda fort. The main reason of building the second fort was to ensure the security of the principal town located within the first fort.

In 1759 Bangalore region was handed over to Haider Ali Khan as a personal jahgir by then the Mysore ruler. This was considering due to the strategic importance of Bangalore region in the context of rising of British power East India Company, the southern fort was built and strengthened by building it in stone.

The town of Bangalore in the 18th century was a major manufacturing and trading centre. To the north of the fort was the Pete where specific areas of markets were devoted to the buying and selling of commodities of trade i.e. cotton products in Aralepet, rice in Akkipet. Since the trade in a specific commodity was generally restricted to a particular caste, the areas were sometime named after the castes of the traders as in the case of Nagarthpet (related to cloth merchants called Nagarits). Agricultural products were available in abundance in the city due to hill station and gardens are farmed variety of vegetables, and the markets abounded with many of the necessaries of life. Bangalore importance as a commercial centre was not only confined to the needs of the surrounding region, it was connected to wider regions and beyond the boundaries of Mysore. It also catered to the court at Srirangapatna and also some far regions like Bidanur, Chitradurga, Gubbi, etc. There is a huge demand for the products even from the distant markets of the Middle East.

The Bangalore town was transformed after the British East India Company decided to set up its military establishment on civil and military stations at Bangalore in 1807. Basavanagudi and Malleswaram, a total of 34 extensions were planned from year 1894 and 1895 respectively, and were ready by 1898 covering 440 acres and the latter 281 acres. By the end of 18th century, new developments had transformed the region as never before. Bangalore had become a vast military camp, intensely active, with a mass of fighting forces 45,000 cavalry, 30,000 infantry, 10,000 Poleegar foot and 100 guns of great size, imported from France. Besides these fighting forces were a vast number of camp followers, whose duty was to collect forage and grain.

In 1880, The sewerage of the whole city area was improved by a combined system of underground sewers and open drains. In 1883, areas named as Benson Town, Cleveland Town and Richmond Town were completed, By 1884 Binny Mills became a part of the town. The industrialization of Bangalore town started attracting people from various places over a period of time from between 1881 and 1951, Historical population below.

YearNative Town populationCivil/Military Station population
188162,31793,540
189180,285100,080
190169,44789,529
191188,651100,830
1921118,550118,940
1931172,350134,110
1941248,330158,420
1951500,780278,190
The period between 1881 and 1951 witnessed gradual increase in the population of Bangalore except during the years 1891 and 1901, the population has decreased due to plague disease. From the year 1941 to 1951, witnessed almost doubling of the population. Till the year 1921 the civil and military station population was larger than the native towns. During the later decades, the growth of the population of the Native Town area was increased much faster than the civil station area. This population growth could be attributed to various developments in the Bangalore Native Town region. The table below shows decade wise formation of extensions and layouts of Bangalore town from 1883 to 1949, mostly in the British era.
YearName of the Extension/Layout
1883Benson Town, Cleveland Town, Richmond Town
1884Binny Mills
1892Chamarajpet, Seshadripuram
1898Basavangudi, Malleswaram
1906Fraser Town
1908Sankarapura
1911Indian Institute of Science
1915Gavipuram
1916Srirampuram
1918Visveswarapuram
1919Minerva Mills
1922Austin Town, Cox Town, Tasker Town
1923Guttahalli
1927Kalasipalyam, Cooke Town, Richards town
1930Gandhinagar
1934Government Electric Factory
1938Kumara Park, Narasimha Colony
1944HAL Sanitary Board, HAL Township
1947Wilson Garden Extension
1948Jayanagar, Sunkenahalli Extension,
Vyalikaval Extension, ITI Notified Area
1949Jayamahal Extension-villas, Rajajinagar
The first major expansion of Bangalore happened in the early nineteenth century. Bangalore town became with two different administrations for city and civil and military in the nineteenth century. The first railway service was introduced in 1864 which connected civil and military station to Jolarpet. In 1842, English school education was introduced for the first time for the natives of Bangalore. Kannada was introduced as the official language of the state and English was a parallel language. Bangalore is the first city to receive electricity in 1906 before Mumbai and Delhi.

The planning of science and technology institutions in the native town area got impetus from the statesman Viswesvaraiah. The second world war gave a major chances to develop industries when a large number of units were required for war production. The story of Hindustan Aircraft Pvt. Ltd (HAL) which began in 1940 is important milestone in the history of the Bangalore city. Following the success of HAL, many other industries sprang up. For instance, in 1942, the government of Mysore established Radio and Electrical Manufacturing Company, and in 1945, Mysore Electrical Industries was established. Thus, the spatial distribution of the Bangalore city changed with the establishment of technical and service industries on the outskirts of the city.

The year of 1970 was considered also as a turning point in development of Bangalore city, it experienced fastest growth in population and spatial expansion, due to this city became much more elastic. According to the 1981 census, The population of Bangalore urban agglomeration was 2,927,751 and the area was 365.7 sq km. Bangalore Urban Agglomeration consisted of new areas Hebbal, Kadenahalli, Kalagondahalli, Kengeri, Lingarajapura, and Yelahanka, and the old areas of Bangalore city corporation areas and the adjacent BDA developed areas, BEL Township, Devarajivanahalli, HAL Township, HA Sanitary Board, HMT Township, HMT Watch Factory Township, ITI Notified Area (Duravaninagar), and Jalahalli. Population in the urban agglomeration experienced 76% growth during 1971-1981 compared to the previous decades of years 1951-61 (53%) and 1961-71(38%) respectively. Of the total population growth, 62% was due to natural growth and 38% was due to migration.

© 2019-2020 populationU, Research papers on Population dynamics and Social affairs